24/7 Emergency Water Damage Restoration Services • Free Visual Inspection For Property Owners (862) 801-3104

Call Today! (862) 801-3104
Call Today! (862) 801-3104
North New Jersey LogoLogo
Call Today! (862) 801-3104
Call Today! (862) 801-3104
North New Jersey Logo

How Does Mold Affect People & Ways to Keep Your House Mold Free

Published by SEO on December 29, 2021 in category: Uncategorized

Mold can find its way into any home, be it on a cold winter night or a sweltering summer day. The mold removal process can be very difficult, especially during winter. As mold expands, it expands its root network and tries to ensure its survival by releasing spores. These spores travel with the wind and settle on other organic matter.

Unfortunately, these spores can also make their way into your lungs and onto your skin. When this happens, it can cause irritation and rashes. Those with oily skins are more susceptible to these rashes than those with dry skins. Instead of rashes, if you have dry skin, you will develop an allergy instead. 

If mold enters your lungs, you will start sneezing, coughing, getting chest irritation, and more. In this article, we will discuss the health hazards that mold has on and in your body, along with a quick guide on the mold removal process.

Affect of Mold On People – A Quick Overview

Exposure to mold, especially black mold, can be very harmful in the long run. The most prevalent issue is the development of asthma in people who have been exposed to mold for longer periods. People who already have respiratory conditions will find that their conditions will get worse as the lungs try to battle spores as well as the current condition they face.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, where the primary organ being attacked by the virus is the lungs, mold can combine with the virus to be potentially fatal to the victim. As the body tries to fight both the spores and the virus, the first thing that you will notice is that you will get a very high fever. 

This shows that mold isn’t dangerous on its own, but its toxins combine with other harmful microorganisms to worsen conditions. Generally, there are two ways these problems can get worse;

  1. Suppose you are exposed to mold – particularly black mold – for a long time consistently. This includes mold at home or the workplace. 
  2. Suppose you get exposed to a large number of mold spores, even for the short term. Think of it as getting a very high dose of sugar. Normally, it isn’t as dangerous, but if you take too much of it, you will develop issues. 

How Mold Can Impact Your Overall Health

While mold is dangerous for almost everyone, it is particularly dangerous for people with allergies, a weakened immune system, or an existing lung problem. The irritants and mycotoxins within mold spores can trigger allergies, which in turn can rash or otherwise damage your alveoli. 

When this happens, you will experience shortness of breath or won’t be able to take deep breaths. Constant coughing, mucus, irritating the nose and throat are all signs of you breathing in mold spores. If this happens to you, you should immediately consider getting medical attention. 

If the damage isn’t too extensive, your doctor may only prescribe medications and exercises to clear your lungs. If the damage is extensive and there is a risk of serious issues developing, the chances are that the doctor may suggest a procedure to flush out the spores. 

Symptoms to keep an eye out for include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Blocked/runny nose
  • Itchy nose and throat
  • Constant sneezing
  • Watery and red eyes

Development of Aspergillosis

Aspergillosis is a very prevalent issue with people exposed to mold for a long time. This happens because of aspergillus fungus, which releases toxic spores that attack people who have a weakened immune system, i.e., too old or young, who has just recovered from sickness or otherwise have an immune system deficiency. 

The aspergillus spores are harmless for most people as they can easily breathe them out without getting sick. However, weakened lungs can have a severe reaction to these spores, leading to headaches, allergies, blood coughs, breathing problems, weight loss, or all of this combined.

Other Issues

Mold can trigger a range of other issues, such as inflammatory responses due to exposure to microbes and bacteria. These conditions can go away with a mold removal service as the microbes are carried solely with the spores into the lungs. Nostrils or bronchial defenses can filter other sources. 

Other issues that can arise because of mold spores include:

  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
  • Bronchitis
  • Alveolitis
  • Sinusitis
  • Asthma
  • Other respiratory problems in otherwise healthy children
  • Wheezing
  • Fever
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Insomnia, and more. 

To ensure you don’t fall victim to these issues, you should consider reducing the overall humidity levels of your home and asking professionals for help. Most companies don’t charge you for just evaluating the issue, so feel free to call mold removal companies and ask them. 

911 Restoration of North New Jersey is here to help you with not just mold removal but a range of other disaster restoration services as well. If you ever need someone you can depend on 24/7, 365 days a year, give us a call. We’d love to help!

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (862) 801-3104
500 South 31st St Kenilworth NJ 07033
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply